Skip to main content

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice. 

New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like before. Those things affect children and sometimes they don’t have the language, the vocabulary, to verbalize that. 

I’m glad I was able to enjoy time with my kid. We would have movie night or a night where we’d eat breakfast for dinner, spontaneous road-trips and vacations. With a live-in partner, those things would have changed. My focus was-and has ALWAYS been-to keep him safe. It was my job to make sure nothing happened to him. If I brought a partner into my home and something happened to my kid, I’d never live that down. I’d always feel guilt. Now, I’m not trying to make you feel guilty for wanting someone in your life. We all want to be someone to someone. I just want you to vet and go into relationships with your eyes wide open. Our children can’t afford for us to be “laxed” when bringing others around them.  

More importantly, there’s nothing wrong with being single. The downtime, as I like to call it, forced me to learn to sit with myself. It forced me to look within and find my flaws, likes, dislikes, what I’m willing to change, not willing to compromise, see who I am as a person, as a woman. Now that my son is a (legal) adult- I am ready to be with my person. My young adult has my blessing to go out and live, learn, and when the time is right, to find his person. 

Though I value and respect what relationships offer, I’m not sad about my current status. I did what was right for ME. I am, however, ready to have someone to share things with. Someone to talk and listen to. Do I think my time has passed for that? Absolutely not. I’m not even 40 (yet). I’m not concerned with finding an age appropriate man. I’m not stressing over it ending in marriage. I just want to connect with someone who wants to be with me as much as I with him. That’s possible. He’s out there. I haven’t missed my window to live. He who God has in store for me will find me. I have faith! 

-Nicole Rene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space. I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o