Skip to main content

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space.

I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that even meant. I rejected religion because I didn’t understand it. How could something that is supposed to be holy and pure have such a harsh wrath? Then I remembered all the movies I saw where the nuns were mean women who punished children for any infraction. That confused me more. If you love God and serve God, why are you so harsh to God’s children? So religion was something I began to despise. But I still longed for and sought God.

I always tell others that religion and God don’t necessarily go together. Yes, God is in all religion but religion is not necessary to find God. I can seek the Creator wherever I am physically and emotionally. I don’t need to be in a sanctuary for that. So I sought God. First, I studied other religions. Islam made more sense to me as a person of color than Christianity. I resonated with the Muslim journey more than the Christian one. But I didn’t want the suppression and oppression I see take place in the Muslim community. So I still sought. I took a religious studies class and learned about religions I had never heard of. And I appreciated that I could take pieces of each religion and apply them to my life. I didn’t want to be tied down to a specific religion and lose aspects of the others that I respected. And through that, I realized I didn’t need to tie myself down with a religion. I could love and seek God through spirituality.

I yearn for answers and clarity. I want to know that God hears me and I am living as I should. Using whatever gift was bestowed upon me. So I take time, daily, to talk and listen. I pour my heart out and allow myself to be open to hearing something from God. I fall. I fail. I regroup. And I try again to be a better person.

I experienced two losses in a short time period. And I was able to gain clarity and channel that grief into projects that allowed me to help others.

I wanted marriage. I longed for so long to be a wife. To create a home and family. And I never had that experience. As I look back, I had to sit with myself and ask myself if I wanted marriage because innately I feel like being a wife is my path. Or do I wanna be married because society says I should? Social conditioning runs deeply and we have to sift through to find out what we believe-at our core-and what has been ingrained in us by outside entities. I appreciate my freedom. I’m a woman who loves to travel and wants to live across the globe. Could I do that if I had a husband? Yes, I could-depending on his career or path. But, ideally. I’d have settle for being married and living in one place. Maybe my dreams would have been deferred. Maybe I’d grow to resent my husband for the life I chose. I don’t know what God has planned for me in the department of relationships. Maybe I am not meant to be with someone. Maybe I will end up with someone. I hope to not be eternally lonely or alone. I appreciate the knowledge I’ve gained. And I hope God never stops giving me little signs and reminders that my prayers and voice matters. Your hear me, I know you do.
In seeking God, I truly began to find myself.

-Nicole Rene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice.  New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like bef