Skip to main content

Sex Education.......What school doesn't teach you.

I vaguely remember taking a "sex education" course, in Middle School. It was 6th or 7th grade. I remember being in the classroom. Giggling at uncomfortable words. But I cannot recall anything learned, that day.


We probably talked about menstruation -periods. I hadn't had mine, yet. (When I did, I was 12, it was the Summer before I began 8th grade ...my birthday is late....November). I think we were combined- boys and girls in that space. And I am pretty sure that made most of us prepubescent schoolchildren awkwardly uncomfortable.


Sex Education courses serve a good purpose. Overall, the intention is to give information about things our bodies go through. Hormones, puberty, arousal. How babies are made. But most sex ed classes are standard classes. In this age, there are many people who consider themselves"sexperts"- experts of all things sex. They can tell you how to get pregnant. How to NOT get pregnant. How to have an orgasm. How to stretch an orgasm. How to self pleasure. Different or "alternative" types of sex one can engage in. (The days missionary style sex are so 19th century.) But I digress. Sex ed classes give the basic information needed to get through the hour or few hours session. But one thing I wish sex ed classes could and would touch are the psychological and emotional effects of sex.


Engaging sexually with another person is more than a physical act. It's emotional. Spiritual. It's a connection deeper than what can be seen. The term "sex ties" is accurate. Though you may physically move on or disconnect from a person, two people engaging in that way....the exchange of bodily fluids is a deep connection. In another blog, I'll break down the lingering of spirits and how to cleanse yourself of those spirits.


Sex is beautiful. It's fucking awesome, to be quite honest. It feels good. Keeps you wanting more. You'll crave it. Think about it. Fantasize about it. Your body will want it. All that is good. But be careful with yourself. Be careful with whom you share yourself with. Your body is your temple. Be wise about it. Diseases are out there. You can't look at a person and know whether they are infected. Pregnancy is real, too. If you decide to go through with it, your life changes. I'd you decide to give the baby up for adoption, your life changes. If you have an abortion, your life changes. All those things have lasting, unimaginable effects. Be wise.


Emotional effects last long, too. You gotta make sure you are mature enough to handle it. Hell, at age 32, I still feel the sting of shit I did years ago. Your first IS your first. There's no going back. No changing that. No "do overs". Make sure when you do decide to take that step, you are ready. Don't jump into it just to get the feel of sex. Be with someone you have feelings for. Someone you like. Experience and liberation comes with time and age. Be tender with yourself. Make sure he is worth it. Sex can happen today and you can be ignored tomorrow or slut shamed. Or it can happen today and y'all stay together. You don't feel ashamed or regret. Or yall aren't together but you feel okay about that. Even if yall weren't in a relationship, you'd still be okay with each other.


So, yeah, the gist of sex is a physical, beautiful act. But take care of your emotional and spiritual side. Needs. Make sure you look out for those unseen parts of you.


~Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space. I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice.  New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like bef