Skip to main content

Failure to Protect

I have spent the past 5 days reading horror stories of children being abused and murdered at the hands of a parent, step parent, or parent's significant other. I am disturbed, angry, disheartened, heartbroken, and a little hopeless. Adults should protect children. Parents should protect children.

It all started when I came across a story about a beautiful girl named Rica Rountree. Rica was abused and murdered by her father's girlfriend. The child had been kicked in her stomach, causing her intestines to tear. Rica died of peritonitis. Her father (Richard Rountree) failed to protect her. He was aware of the abuse and participated, sharing text messages with the girlfriend about how he wished the girl would go somewhere else. He laughed about the abuse in texts and agreed with the girlfriend, Cynthia (Clay) Baker about coaching Rica to lie about how she got her bruises. Though I am happy she was convicted and I hope she gets the maximum in February for sentencing, it is a little too late for that precious girl. Her mother, who has struggled with alcoholism and was facing jail time, admitted that all the adults in her life "failed" Rica. CPS failed Rica, too. Sadly, this was the first of many stories I would come across about the horrible abuse of children by the adults who were suppose to protect them.

Nixzmary Brown, another beautiful girl, murdered by her stepfather. She had been, over time, sexually abused, physically abused, and, ultimately, killed by him. She was forced to use a cat litter box as a toilet, tied to a chair in her room, and was beaten with a belt by him. How she died: Cesar Rodriguez, the stepfather, beat her with his fists after discovering she took a yogurt from the refrigerator. He grabbed her and slammed her into a tub, where she hit her head-blunt force trauma. He forced her head under the faucet and ran cold water on the child. Then he threw her naked body on the floor of her bedroom. Two days later, when her mother (Nixzaliz Santiago) "checked on her", she discovered the child was dead.

Before Nixzmary, there was Elisa Izquierdo-whose head was slammed into a concrete wall-by her mother (Awilda Lopez). The child had been forced to eat feces, her hair used as a mop, and she had been sexually assaulted with a  toothbrush and hairbrush-all at the hands of her mother. Awilda admitted to slamming Elisa's head into a concrete wall, saying Elisa did not "walk or talk" after that. When authorities were called and showed up, there was no part of that child's body that had not been beaten. Elisa had brain matter coming out of her mouth and nose. Again, CPS and her mother failed to protect her.

Zymere Perkins was an adorable six year old boy who was abused and murdered by his mother's boyfriend. The mother (Geraldine Perkins) stated that the boyfriend hit Zymere with a broomstick like he was a "piñata". Rysheim Smith, the boyfriend, hung the child from a bathroom door. The little boy died. His mother failed him. CPS failed him.

Emani Moss, Terrell Peterson, Nadine Lockwood, Xzayvion Riley, Titches Lindley. Justina Morales and Kelsey Smith-Briggs are a few more children who were failed by their so-called parents and by government agencies designed to "protect children". The irony of these services being called "child protective services" when these cases are examples of children who were anything but protected by these agencies. With most of these children, there were open and active CPS cases. That means DCFS or CPS-depending on where one lives-were aware of abuse allegations and should have been more diligent in investigating. Instead, the ball was dropped, the buck was passed, and no one wants to take responsibility for it.

In a few of these cases, parents were sentenced not because they issued the final blow that killed the child. But because they KNEW about the abuse, were aware of the abuse, and they chose not to act in a way that would have protected the child. Each of these stories has brought tears to my eyes and made me sad inside for the pain these children endured. Their little bodies battered and abused. Their cries for help. Their pleas for "mommy" to help, to stay with them, to stop the abuse all were ignored.

I am in absolute agreement with states that punish parents for failure to act. As a parent/guardian your job is to protect the child. If you enter a relationship where there is domestic violence, YOU NEED TO LEAVE. If you stay, your child(ren) should be taken from you for subjection to abuse. If a coward hits you, he will definitely hit your children that are not his. Hell, he would even hit the kids that are his. Any person that beats women and children does not deserve to be called a man.  YOU ARE A COWARD. And any woman who stays and subjects children-who cannot defend you or themselves-is a horrible parent. You deserve to have your parental rights stripped. At the first sign of abuse, LEAVE. And if you want to stay and get punched on like a punching bag, give those kids to the other parent or family who will love and care for them.

When children see their parent being abused, it angers them and saddens them. The feel helpless. They are only children, it is not their job to protect you. Daughters will grow up thinking abusive relationships are normal. Sons will either be angry that they could not protect you, and they will lash out in some kind of way. They will grow up to abuse women, since they witnessed their mother's abuse. They will grow up thinking women are weak and deserve to be abused. Do not do that to a child. If you need help, seek help. Do not be so quick to bring a partner around your child(ren). Have some esteem and care about yourself. Date up, not down.

As I write this, there are children being abused and hurt in the place that is suppose to be a safe haven. If you know of or suspect abuse, call someone. 1 800 799 7233 is the number for the National Domestic Violence Hotline. Childhelp.org lists the number in each state to report child abuse or suspected child abuse. You can always tell a school social worker or any adult who works with children-as they are mandated reporters.

Let us love and raise healthy and happy children. My prayer for today and always is safety, comfort, and blessings for each and every child that is alive.

-Nicole Rene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space. I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice.  New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like bef