Skip to main content

Marriage: Attainable or Not?

I attended a lovely dinner with some lovely ladies, a few months ago. We ate, laughed, caught up, and drank! And we talked. Out of the group of ladies, two of us were unmarried. And of the two of us, one of us has never been married. The question was asked, to me, if I would like to be married one day. Yes, I would. Fast forward three months later. I was back in New Orleans and enjoyed another lovely night of drinks, food, and convo at the same restaurant-with a different group of friends. One couple and one half of a couple. I shared with them the question that had been on my mind for months and my desire to be married, someday. I shared why, too.


There was a time when women wanted to be wives. Nowadays, it seems as being a wife is not as sought as being a "friend" or "side piece". Wife is a word that was respected. Women who were wives were respected. And, in many aspects, it is still that way. There is nothing wrong with being single. But there is nothing wrong with desiring marriage, either. Each choice is individual. You know what is in your heart. You should honor that. I desire to be a helpmate-unapologetically. But I am a woman who brings more to the table than domesticity. I am educated (I teach), I love to travel and write. While I respect stay-at-home wives/moms, I cannot see that being my path. But I would not complain if it were an option! I do want the security that marriage brings. Many arguments are about how marriage is just a piece of paper. But that paper carries plenty weight. And it provides things that would, otherwise, have to be settled in court. Marriage is desired for many different reasons. You choose yours. There is no shame in your choice. No shame in wanting to be domesticated.  And this is part of the reason I struggle with feminism and its teachings. I will blog in another post how I feel feminism is detrimental to women and non inclusive of women of color. But I digress, for now. I am pro empowerment of women. Marriage allows that. I can be a wife, mother, teacher, writer, and whatever else I choose, simultaneously.


I feel like we, humans, weren't built to be alone. That is not to say everyone has to be in a relationship or you are not whole without a relationship. But we all seek and desire some form of "ship"-companionship, relationship, friendship. We all want someone we can talk to, share with, bond with. We want the intimacy that comes with those "ships"-be it sexual or non sexual. To say that being alone is fine-for a lifetime-is false. The reason we create social media accounts, build friendships, date, or form relationships at work is that we want to connect with another (or other) beings. No one is truly a loner, unless you are isolated or shut in with no visitors.
For many women of color, it seems marriage is not an option. Sometimes you have to get out of your element, travel, move, run in different circles, date outside your race, raise or adjust your standards, so you can meet someone who DOES want to be married to you. I choose to no longer be in the statistic of Black women of color who are unmarried. And that is solely because marriage is on my mind...and in my heart.


I WANT TO BE MARRIED, SOMEDAY! There is no shame in that or in me sharing that. I have no desire to remain single for life. And because of that, I move differently. My circle consists of married couples and friends who desire the same thing. My dating life has shifted. I do not do "casual" anymore. I have a plan and I desire a man to have a plan. If you want me, court me. If you do not seek long term, I am not the woman for you. Having a plan and sticking with is the only way my heart will fulfill its desire. There is no shame in wanting to be married. No shame in believing in marriage and love. I hope my marriage is filled with love, growth, understanding, companionship, friendship, giving, and longevity. May the Universe hear my prayer and answer. Amen.


~Nicole Rene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space. I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice.  New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like bef