Skip to main content

Marriage….. Stuff

 It’s a beautiful day in Georgia, so I decided to sit outside and engage in leisurely activity. Logged into Twitter and came across a post by a male. He was saying how he hopes his sons marry chaste women. Virgins. However, if the non virgins are more aligned, spiritually, (and have repented) than the virgins, he’d be happy for his sons to marry a non virgin. That made me think of spiritual/symbolic marriage. Legal marriages are the norm in this country. When I say the norm, I mean they are the marriages acknowledged by the government and many people. Spiritual/symbolic marriages have existed for a long time. They, however, do not offer the protections or benefits that one gets from legal marriage (binding contract). 

This made me think of how symbolic marriages are respected or not respected. Calling yourself “married” because you’re with someone without having a spiritual ceremony is just that-words you use. It allows you to use the term “married” when it’s beneficial to you. If it’s not ordained by God, is it really a marriage? This is one of the downsides of polygamy. A man can have multiple “wives” but they’re usually in name only. Being married to multiple people at one time is illegal. Polygamy-more specifically polygyny (one man, multiple wives) is widespread in other countries. In the U.S., it’s more sporadic. There are polygamists spread out but the practice is not as understood or accepted as it is in some other parts of the world. Legally, a man may have one wife and the others are wife-in name only. They are not offered the same protections as the legal wife. They are single, as classified by the government. Now, do I think polygamy should be legalized? Not necessarily. I wouldn’t want my husband to have wives I know nothing about. See “Why Do Fools Fall in Love” to understand what I’m talking about. (I’ll be blogging-in another post- on my “adventures” in polygamy….STAY TUNED)! 

Symbolic/spiritual marriages can be hard to prove. If something happens to your “spouse”, you really have no legal recourse. It’s good to get legal documents/a will-some way to distribute property etc. Legal marriage can be a hassle, too. Joint taxes, incurring your spouse’s debt etc. It does, however, provide protections or benefits. There’s little to no question on your role in that person's life. By default, you are the go-to person. 

I guess what I really seek to find out is how individuals see symbolic/spiritual marriages. If I told you I was married to a man but not legally, do you count that as a marriage? Is it more palatable if there is documentation or does my word mean something? This question would be better directed at a specific person-potential significant other. I’m more of a small government type person. I do, however, understand and can appreciate the legality of having a marriage license. My partner and I would have to figure out what is best for our situation.

 I would like to see symbolic marriages have the same respect as licensed marriages. Are you less than a “wife” because you kept the government out of your home? 

Just some random, buzzed thoughts I was having…. 

-Nicole Rene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space. I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice.  New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like bef