Skip to main content

Why Sisterhood means something.....

You have probably heard the term "Sisterhood".  For some women, it is the bond shared between women. It's designed for women to treat each other as you would treat your own blood sister-under the notion that you actually LIKE your blood sister!! I use to hate that term and it was so cliché when I heard it. But growth has allowed me to understand and appreciate it. And I understand and appreciate the power we hold, as women. Imagine harnessing that power, collectively!

In polygamous relationships, the term is the bond the "wives" share with each other. In the U.S., polygamy is illegal, so these women are spiritually married to the same man. Ideally, he provides for each of the women the same. And though there may be conflict, occasionally, the women-overall-work together for the good of the family. However, there are polygamous families where the women do not live together and do not even get along-even though they know of/about each other. Kind of like "I know you exist, but I don't want to be friends/sisters with you". They share a husband and that is all. How beautiful it is for us as women to know and understand that another woman loving the man we love has nothing to do with us. Her feelings are hers and should be validated as that. More than one woman can love the same man and it not be a competition. Know this: if we are in a relationship with a great person, clearly, we are not the only person who can see their good qualities. It is okay to feel how you feel, just be mindful to respect others feelings and not do anything to a woman you wouldn't want done to you! We don't own people, we just own our feelings.

In polygamous (polygynous-one man, multiple wives) relationships, sisterhood can be the thing that makes or breaks a family. And that bond can be beautiful and beneficial to all involved. Example: Children grow up in a household where at least one mother will be home with children (if they attend school outside the home). And if something were to happen to one mother, the children have been reared by another, who understands the values the birth mother has set in place for her children. There is no need for outside babysitters or daycare centers. Siblings grow up together and the women grow together, as women. The new ones can learn from the old ones and vice versa. I am not pushing polygamy on anyone, but I do see and understand the benefits these women speak of. And most are candid about the difficult times, also. But that is for another blog!

Sisterhood is important for women to grow as women. See, it isn't just for polygamous women, all women can benefit from sisterhood. How often do we miss out on friendships because we are not understood by another woman? How often do we take the time to be negative and argue rather than listen with an open mind, to another woman? How often do we fight over men, job positions, other things we think are rare and near extinct? None of that is necessary when we understand that sisterhood is the foundation for women empowering women rather than tearing down. I understand and stress the importance of having males in the household or at least having males present in the lives of children-boys AND girls. I am in no way belittling that importance. But women can work together to support each other in situations. I love pampering others. I love to assist other people, especially when they need it the most and may be too proud to ask. Childbirth is a time where women should be pampered. You just gave life. You should rest your body and mind and allow others to assist you on this journey with your new baby. How great would it be to have a circle or a sister to be there for you and do little things like run bath water, clean clothes for you and baby, watch baby so you can sleep or have a few hours to yourself?! Those things are important! Sisterhood can provide that.

Sisterhood in the workplace matters, too. How many times do we ignore women a work because we are insecure about our job position or we want to be where they are/or they want to be where we are and instead of coming together-because there IS room for us all- we look down on and are not kind to others? It happens, often. Sisterhood can be the difference between cussing someone out and offering to mentor them. I know, I know, all women are not easy to get along with. Some are just mean people. I stay away from them. I say silent words of wisdom and prayers for them. Their anger, hate, bitterness, or just overall horrible attitude has NOTHING to do with me. And I know there are many other women who want to get along rather than create conflict.

It is okay to be friends with other women. I repeat. IT IS OKAY TO BE FRIENDS WITH OTHER WOMEN! If sisterhood is something you strive to have, by all means, seek that out!!

Nicole Rene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space. I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice.  New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like bef