Skip to main content

Sexual Disrespect is NOT acceptable.

It has taken me a minute..... a few days, actually, to gather my thoughts and deliver this post in a way it's intended.

I spend plenty time telling young ladies to embrace womanhood, femininity, whatever gives you confidence and makes you feel beautiful and strong. If that's your sexuality, great, embrace that. But I am also aware to let ladies know your sexuality is YOURS. You own it, no one else does. But always be conscious about your decisions, be aware, be careful with your body, your heart, your self. Period.

So I took a little getaway, two weeks ago. And I saw someone who was a friend, long ago, who I have been in constant contact with over the past 10+ years. We sat and talked, in a public place, for about an hour or two. We talked about different relationship dynamics and other stuff. I was telling him I had been in a polyamorous and polygynous Facebook group, although I don't identify as either. His comment was "so basically you're a freak". Umm NO. Being open to different styles of relationships doesn't make one a freak. So our time talking was ending. We were ready to say our goodbyes. He then made a comment saying he might drop by and see me Monday (as I was leaving Tuesday morning). He asked what I was going to "give him" if he came by Monday. Umm NOTHING. That conversation and those two comments he made left me feeling some kind of way. And that is why I decided to blog on this.

I read a blog a few weeks ago, written by a sexually liberated woman, who was saying how men flood her inbox with inappropriate pictures and messages, all because she identifies as a sexually liberated woman. The blog post was about how her liberation was about her NOT any man. And she felt some kind of way that those men reacted to her liberation the way they did.

That happens often to women. If we have had sex, we are assumed to be "easy", "whores", "sluts", "freaks", or some other label that implies our free will and freedom should be labeled and identified and controlled by someone other than us. There is the implication that because a woman is sexually active, she should be obligated to have sex with any man who wants to have sex with her. After all, she HAS allowed another man in the vagina. "Giving" the pussy away (which is incorrect). I just want to say how false that claim is and how disheartened I am when a woman feels like she SHOULD because of the reasons stated above.

I like to use this as an example: If I am in the room with 10 men, and I decide I want to have sex with some of them-if it's my free will and I am not being forced or coerced or trafficked-I damn well can do what I feel. And if guy number 9 comes close and I say "NO", I have that right, too. His argument may be "But you fucked 8 others, why won't you fuck me?" My response is "My body, my choice." Now, I know you are probably saying "you  may as well fuck all of them". But who are you to decide who I am sexual with? If I want to sex 10 men or just 1, that is my business. I am not obligated to have sex with anyone I don't choose to. And if that means saying no to one out of many, guess what, I have that choice. It might not seem right or fair, but it is my choice. The idea that we should sex a person because we are not a virgin is illogical.

I belonged to an all female social media group, a few years ago. And I remember we were talking about rape. One woman said she had never been raped, but she has felt obligated to have sex with men at certain times. I cringed because I understood her. I have felt that way, also, in my life. But I know better, now. And I know we are NEVER obligated to be sexual with anyone. Anything more than our choice is a crime. And at any time, you can say "No" or "Stop". 

Can I be a woman who likes sex but doesn't want to have it with you? The answer is YES. I am aware of sexual energy, fluids, attachments created during sex. And because I am aware, my choices are different than what they were, say, 12 years ago. And I build relationships on more than sex. If we get to that point, great. If we don't, we just don't.

Men (and boys) need to understand that overt sexual advances and aggressive sexual conduct and talk is not appealing to women. It can actually make us feel violated. I am more than a vagina. My pussy doesn't tell you about my intellect, my goals, my future plans. And just because you think I am sexy, beautiful, or you want to fuck me doesn't mean I share those sentiments. And every thought YOU have about ME doesn't need to be shared with me. I have breasts, I know that. No need to point it out and compliment me on them. Especially if we just met or you don't know me well. Things like that make me as a woman feel very uncomfortable. Don't look at me like you're going to pounce on me. And don't talk to me using sexual language/slurs. And as a woman, I have the right to TELL you how uncomfortable your words or looks or gestures make me feel. And I will not apologize nor will  I let you downplay my feelings or invalidate them.

I don't have daughters, I have a son. And I want to make sure he, as a male (young man) knows the appropriate ways to interact with females (young women). And I want him to understand WHY the inappropriate ways are inappropriate. He can't be responsible for someone else's reaction. But he can be responsible for what he conveys and how he treats and interacts with another.

SEXUAL LIBERATION DOES NOT WARRANT DISRESPECT! REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT!!

Nicole Rene

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking God, Finding Myself

I have been on a fervent, spiritual journey for the past seven years. It was only then, I began to know myself-as a person, as a woman. I was 28 years old before I was comfortable enough with myself to begin peeling off layers and allowing my freeness to flow. I am a mother. I am a teacher. I am a writer. And I am a sexual being. For so long, the latter was something I suppressed. I wasn’t comfortable enough to speak on that aspect of me. But it’s part of who I am and how I got here-to this place, this space. I grew up Catholic. Sex was to be abstained until marriage, according to our Sunday school lessons. Though people in my family shacked up and had kids out of wedlock-and weren’t looked down upon.  For so long, I masturbated with guilt. Even though the release was wonderful and I enjoyed touching my body, I felt like religion taught me I would be punished for the sin-even though it didn’t involve another being. I use to spew the words “But I’m a Christian”  not knowing what that

What do you want?

When you have a job, career, that you love, you don't seek employment elsewhere. But if you are unsure of your status at your current place of employment, if you are unhappy, or if you are seeking/ready for a change, you may find yourself looking for another job. And if opportunity comes to you, you will probably consider taking another offer. I use that analogy because it's the same with relationships. We (Western civilization) have an issue with relationships. We are conditioned to think that jealousy and possession is normal and acceptable. It's not. Before I go further, let me be real clear..... I think we all should have the right to design our own relationships-free of judgment. As long as our relationship isn't hurting another person or taking advantage of another, we should be free to create a situation that we want to be in. I have struggles with understanding the hype around monogamy. But I am not on the polyamory or polygamy bandwagon, either. There is no o

Single…..With Child(ren)

 It’s okay to be single. I repeat: IT IS OKAY TO BE SINGLE. I haven’t written in a while. Covid and its aftermath kind of drained me. Since my last post, my son graduated high school. That was a year ago. A few months ago, I was just thinking about how I’m glad I didn’t cohabitate with any man while my kid was still in school. There’s nothing wrong with dating, wanting to date, having a relationship, or getting married to a partner that is not the other parent of your kid(s). For me, though, I think I made the right choice.  New relationships don’t just affect YOU. Your whole household dynamic changes. With women, sometimes we get so caught up “in love” and wanting to create a family that we overlook certain things or don’t pay attention to things taking place with our children. I’m not just speaking of abuse, I mean little things like having to put on actual clothes to leave out of their room. Having to possibly share a bedroom/bathroom with others. Not having one-on-one time like bef